Historic Downtown

Acworth's historic downtown once served as the community's primary central business district, in the days before the automobile made possible the development of commercial strip centers and shopping malls which could be located farther from the core of the city. Present day Main Street is located on what began as a trading route used by the Cherokee Indians, and by the 1920s, it had evolved into a major North-South thoroughfare known as the Dixie Highway (later replaced in the modern era by Highway 41 and READ MORE

2024-01-12T15:46:11-05:00September 1, 2023|

Cowan Farmstead

The Cowan House was constructed in 1854 by Stephen D. Cowan, a prosperous farmer who migrated to Acworth from Virginia in the early 1850s. Originally part of a 1200 acre farmstead, the Cowan House survived the Union occupation of Acworth by General William T. Sherman in 1864 and now sits on approximately one-half of an acre, the remainder of the land having been sold off after Stephen Cowan's death in 1900, when the property was divided among his heirs. In 1918, the house was sold READ MORE

2024-01-12T15:45:12-05:00September 1, 2023|

Collins Avenue Historic District

The Collins Avenue Historic District is a collection of late nineteenth-century Victorian-era houses and early twentieth-century Craftsman-style bungalows that was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, and designated as a Local Historic District by the City of Acworth in 1998. The district represents two periods of development for Acworth. The first period, 1890-1910, includes most of the structures located towards the southern end of Collins Avenue (including the Collins-Smith House which was built around 1850, and was once part of a READ MORE

2024-01-12T15:42:59-05:00September 1, 2023|

Bethel AME Church

The Bethel AME Church congregation was organized in Acworth in 1864, originally sharing a church building with the Zion Hill Baptist Church. In 1871, trustees of the Bethel AME Church purchased one acre of land, and the present sanctuary was constructed sometime between 1871 and 1882. The Romanesque Revival-style church has round-arched windows and decorative brickwork in the gable areas. The front vestibule and two asymmetrical bell towers with conical metal roofs were added in 1895, and a rear addition was constructed in 1973. The READ MORE

2023-09-01T16:38:32-04:00September 1, 2023|

Acworth High School History

The history of Acworth High goes back into the 1800's. It seems the old building that was used for the elementary grades, was once known as Acworth High, as well as the Smith-Lemon Institute. On May 29, 1899, the trustees of Acworth High School petitioned the Cobb County Superior Court to issue them a charter for the Smith-Lemon Institute, changing the name of the school. Mr. Bernard Awtrey was the principal. By 1925, Cobb County began to look to consolidate many of the small schools READ MORE

2024-01-12T15:17:16-05:00September 1, 2023|
Go to Top