Courtroom Conduct

• No food or drinks are allowed • No hats • Sunglasses should be removed • Parents with noisy children or babies may be asked to step outside until their case is called • Proper dress attire is expected- no halter tops. No clothing or ornamentations that prohibits illegal substances, displays profanities, advocates, promotes, or suggests illegal activity. • All cell phones MUST be turned off before entering the courtroom

2023-09-15T14:06:16-04:00September 15, 2023|

Metal Detector in Use

Before entering the Court Room, you will be required to walk through a metal detector at which time your bags or purse may be searched. If you have weapons such as guns, knives, pepper spray, or tools you will not be granted entry into the courtroom. If you have a Pacemaker do not proceed through the metal detector, please ask for a hand search.

2023-09-15T14:05:47-04:00September 15, 2023|

How do I reset my case?

If you wish to have your case continued for one month, you may come to court services during office hours to sign a continuance. Any further need for rescheduling must be requested from the judge during court.

2023-09-15T14:05:20-04:00September 15, 2023|

What if I want to plead not guilty and have a trial?

If you plead not guilty, you will be given the option of having a jury trial in Cobb County State Court or a non-jury by our judge here in city court. Your trial will not be on your arraignment date. You will be given a trial date so all witnesses, including the officer may be subpoenaed to testify during the trial.

2023-09-15T14:04:08-04:00September 15, 2023|

What are my plea options?

The information listed below is NOT legal advice as you have many rights available to you. • Plea of Guilty: An admission of guilt. Depending on the offense, the plea may apply points to your driver’s history or have other adverse effects. • Plea of Not Guilty: By pleading not guilty, you may request a bench trial or, if applicable, you may request your case be bound over to Cobb County for a jury trial. • Plea of Nolo Contendere: (Often known as Nolo or READ MORE

2023-09-15T14:03:42-04:00September 15, 2023|

How do I get an attorney?

You may hire your own attorney to represent you and have the attorney file an entry of appearance with the court. However, if you cannot afford an attorney, you may be interviewed to see if you qualify under federal guidelines to have an attorney appointed to represent you. There is a $50.00 application fee, interview will be conducted before your arraignment date.

2023-09-15T14:03:15-04:00September 15, 2023|

What is a must appear offense?

Must appear offenses are those for which a defendant is required to appear before the judge in court. Examples include but are not limited to, DUI, possession of marijuana, disorderly conduct, suspended license, suspended registration, no insurance, ALL UNDER 21 OFFENSES, and city code violations.

2024-01-12T15:43:59-05:00September 15, 2023|

I got a ticket from an Acworth Police officer. What do I do?

There is a court date listed on the citation. This is an arraignment date. You will be asked to enter a plea at this time. Please be on time for your appointed court date as the judge will give you a lot of valuable information at the opening of the court session.

2023-09-15T14:01:49-04:00September 15, 2023|
Go to Top